Schulleben & Unterricht > Historie > History of the reconstructed building

History of the reconstructed building

The history of our school starts in the year 1789 with the founding of the first teachers’ college in Pirna (1789 - 1850), where talented members of the church’s singing choir were trained to be teachers or cantors. At first, there were only four students and two candidates.The municipal school regulations tightened up the rules and consolidated the curriculum, which made the college prestigious and more significant.

1872 - 1922

When the Saxon state planned the establishment of two new colleges due to high population growth in 1872, the town of Pirna applied, too. The state teacher seminary was quietly opened on May 1st, 1873 by senior school teacher Dr. Oberländer. The construction of a school building was planned, as there weren’t any suitable rooms for the seminary yet. The foundation stone was laid on October 26th, 1874. The new building was was opened on June 12th, 1876. The building, with its spacious central hall and two expandable wings of equal length, was developed and modernized in the following years. On September 9th, 1876 the school’s gym was opened. Students first entered school at age 13 and attended preparatory classes. In 1915, when new examination regulations and a new curriculum came into force, the seventh academic year was introduced. Next to Latin, French as a foreign language became mandatory.

1922 - 1945

The teacher seminary was dismantled and the building was restructured into a state school, the Deutsche Oberschule. For the first time, 22 boys between the ages of 10 and 12 were enrolled and instructed in the core subjects German, history, geography, arts and English. The school was so popular that there were 495 students in 18 classes in 1931/1932. The enrollment of girls was possible till 1934. After that, they were taught at the Secondary School for Girls . When the war broke out, teaching was restricted or even canceled during the winter.
In the wake of an educational reform in 1939, the Deutsche Oberschule and the former municipal secondary school were amalgamated. As a result, a school community was created that consisted of 541 students and 44 teachers.
During the Second World War, several precautions were taken, most notably the establishment of air-raid shelters.

1945 - 2005

After a democratic school reform in 1945, the school was re-opened. The first principal after the war was Adolph Dreßel. In September 1946, the school was combined with the Secondary School for Girls. The result was a municipal secondary school for boys and girls. On the initiative of Dr. Schmidt, the school got its name, Rainer Fetscher. The removal of school fees in 1949 made it possible for children from working-class families to attend this school.
The Education Act of 1958 focused on socialist transformation. In 1959, the subject polytechnology was introduced. The rise in the educational level at German secondary schools made it possible for our school to be transformed into an extended secondary school. Students could enroll in grade 9. During the 1963/1964 school year, the whole school system was renewed. An example is the establishment of a 9th grade that focused on the theoretical and practical vocational training of bricklayers and masons, for example. After 1983, the enrollment at the extended secondary school was only possible after the sophomore year.
After the reunification in 1991, the school introduced a course system and became a Gymnasium on the basis of the German National Education Act. 7th and 9th graders were enrolled, and after 1992 the school was opened for 5th and 6th graders, too.

2006 - present

Extensive reconstruction work in the building was started. Rainer Fetscher Gymnasium was temporarily closed and the students were taught at the neighboring Friedrich Schiller Gymnasium. After the reconstruction was completed, all students were taught in the new building, which got the name Friedrich Schiller Gymnasium in 2009.